Thursday, July 03, 2008

Everything's going up

Eversince the announcement of the fuel hike, everyone has taken the opportunity to increase their prices as well. Nothing comes cheap anymore. Eating out is overpriced - one miserable piece of chicken at a mamak stall cost RM3. Huh?

Yesterday, Harvynna's kindergarten informed us that they will be increasing their rates by 30%. That;s a serious increase and with minimal notice. I asked them why the increase, and their lame reason was ,'oh, we have not raised our prices in 4 years, and with everything going up, so we also have to increase'. Not just the fees have gone up, the meals, uniforms, everything has gone up too.

So, how does a single income or low income family in the Klang valley survive? No wonder the crime rate is going up.

And to think,I was faulted for choosing this job that pays higher (significantly higher), just because I have to work on alternate saturdays. Well, I actually like working on saturdays, as I get to do all my reports, and planning with minimal interruptions. I even go to the school library to borrow books for Harvynna on saturdays as weekdays are just crazy. I even brought Harvynna to my office once and she loved it. I have chosen this job, and I love it, my boss is great, my staff are great and the environment is good.

I was faulted for choosing money over my family. Excuse me - with less money, and the rising cost of everything, I think I would have sacrified my family by taking the other job. At least now, I can buy them whatever they want without taking twice. The other job, actually meant taking a pay cut from my previous job!! So tell me, is that the dumbest move or what!! eeesh, I really hate people that try to meddle in your life without knowing the facts.

2 comments:

chanelwong said...

Everything is going up...
anyway nobody will know your situation better than you...just make deaf lar...

Borneo Belle said...

Sadly, with the current economic situation, some people might even have to take up second jobs: both in the evenings and at weekends.

You're lucky you made the right decision back then to choose a higher salaried income with an alternate weekend at work. People will always give their suggestions; ultimately you should know what's best for you. So, Congratulations on making the right decision (before the price hike too)!

I prefer not to work weekends as I see it as a time for rest, recreation, meditation and housework! But I am lucky, I can afford not to work, but my heart goes out to those who have to...weekly rest is ancient and we all know for example, that "holiday" originates from holy day or the sabbath when workers were given time off to pray. Similarly, the weekend is a time to shout "It's the Weekend" and rejuvenate for that Monday morning.

Click here for an interesting read on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek