Wednesday, November 25, 2009

School updates & Harvynna's PTM

2009 is almost coming to an end and tomorrow will be Havynna's last day at this level in her school. At the beginning of this year, I was considering moving her to another kindergarten which is more academic based but have since changed my mind. Few reasons:

- Rowena will be joining her there next year (small reason only and she is not happy about it)
- The school provides an excellent environment for the foundation years
- Harvynna has received raving reviews from all teachers here
- I want her to enjoy her kindergarten years before she starts the daily grind of Primary
school life

I attended Harvynna's Parent Teacher meet last week and I must say I was beaming with pride when I left. Her class teacher was full of praise for her, saying that she is one of a kind and is way above average. The environment at her school is more like an International school, where the way they teach is very different and they emphasise more on a holistic development. I was very proud when the school presented her with a special award for 'Academic Excellence'.

Academic wise, I would not say, that what they offer is very challenging as compared to some of the other kindergartens out there especially the franchised kindergartens. Her school focuses more on grasping concepts and basic skills that are important to develop. Some of the syllabus offered at other kindergartens look more like what is done at Primary 3 level. At this point in time, Harvynna would definitely not be able to do those sort of exercises.

Anyway, judging from what all her teachers had said, Harvynna can adapt anywhere and she catches things very fast. She will do well in which ever school she eventually goes to during her Primary Years. Just to make sure that she is can compete later, I do give her additional workbooks and exercises at home for her to practise. Plus, I did have a look at the Entrance exam my school uses for Primary one level, and I think Harvynna would be able to do it quite easily.

Where will we be sending her in Primary 1? I dont know yet. We did register her with one of the better government schools, but I hear now that the standard has dropped as the teachers are absent more often than the students! Its actually quite a dilemma as I know she can survive anywhere, but I dont want to kill her enthusiasm by sending her to a school where the teachers dont turn up.

International School? I say NO for Primary as I feel that she still needs some grounding in the Malaysian Education system if she intends to work here later. Plus, once you go to an Internatinal School, there is no turning back.

Private school? - Maybe, but there are so many factors to consider.

Rowena? - just confirmed her spot at Harvynna's kindy. She cant wait for January to start school.

3 comments:

Babysmooches said...

Harvynna is definitely a smart girl. Just have to go with the flow and not over-pressure them. It seems like yesterday when I saw little baby Harvynna. Now, she has grown up so fast and beautiful like her mummy.

Yaggya said...

Hi Rina, I chanced upon ur blog while searching for reviews on BH and read about Harvynna and Rowena. Nice names. I'm an Indian expat staying in KL. I had gone to Beaconhouse and quite a number of kindies. What you mentioned about the school is exactly the way i have percieved it. I have decided to send my daughter there from next year instead of an international school/ the highly academic kindies because i felt BH provides a better holistic development. I too agree that children need to enjoy their childhood and enjoy the process of learning in these basic foundation years instead of dumping a huge syllabus on them. Whatever defecit can be helped at home later. Wishing Harvynna best of luck for a good transition to Primary and Rowena a wonderful journey in the new school. Glad to meet u via this blog. :)

Health Freak Mommy said...

H is indeed a smart and likeable girl. She will survive anywhere. Private schools are expensive but you don't need to send your kids for extra tuition. If I have the money, I'll def send my girls to a private school.
BTW, my girls don't attend Kumon. Too expensive to send both to Kumon.