Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sleepless in Melaka

Rowena is 2 weeks old today. We took her to see the paediatrician for her 1 week check up. (a little late!) She is doing fine and is now 3.85 kg.

For the past 2 weeks, she has been a good baby, waking to have a feed and goes to sleep immediately. But come yesterday, she woke up at 12.30 am and did not go to sleep till almost 5.00am. She seemed rather uncomfortable - will feed for a while, sleep for 15 minutes then wake up again. Wonder if it is colic. Tried everything, from rubbing some Yu Yee oil on her tummy, rocking her, swaddling her but nothing seemed to work. My mum took turns to rock her as well. Suddenly, all the memories of Harvynna not sleeping and crying at that age came to my mind. I remembered how I almost lost my mind when Harvynna was about 2 -3 weeks as she was hungry all the time and i used to associate crying with hunger.

Finally, I resorted to something which I am totally against - the pacifier. Rowena sucked on it with such vigour. The only thing is when the pacifier drops off, she starts crying again. So it was back to square one. In the end i swaddled her really tightly, as I realised she was pushing the pacifier out with her hands. That seemed to work and she finally felt asleep. Phew!


I wonder if this is a one off episode or the start of a new one.

6 comments:

jazzmint said...

hmm..lets hope it's once off, if u suspect she has colic maybe keep on burping her to see how. I had that encounter couple of nights with Faythe, it was real bad :(

chanelwong said...

I am not sure whether it works on Rowena. I think she wants comfort because after you wrapped her, she feels comfortable. How about letting her hug a bolster?

Jess said...

Dun worry, she will outgrown this pretty soon. Just rock, cuddle & hug her more often, newborn need security!

Both my girls are like that too, gone thru that stage too! u r not alone!

u in Melaka now?

Babysmooches said...

Wow, 2 weeks have passed? Say, it's pretty common for some babies to have their nights and days terbalik.... You do take it easy and don't get stressed up, time will pass pretty fast....

ZMM said...

Swaddling works wonders! If she likes it.. let her be swaddled and feel secured.

LHS said...

Oh...now only i know you have another baby!

Happy Confinement!