Friday, November 07, 2008

Kindergarten Hunt


My kindergarten hunt is almost over as I have finally narrowed it down to 2 kindergartens in Damansara Heights. I did a complete check and visited all shortlisted schools and asked them in detail on their curriculum, methods used, whether it is more academic driven (which I dont want),focus on rote learning (which I dont want too), bridging classes for Primary 1 and of course the cleanliness of the place especially the toilets as Harvynna will never use a dirty toilet. Fees is also an important consideration as kindergartens in this vicinity is definitely a lot higher in price. It does not mean, you pay a high price, you get the best when it comes to preschool education.


Some of the schools have a lower price, but when asked in detail, I realise some of the areas are not covered and instead get the students to go for after school classes, which in the end works out to be more. Some with lower fees also look very run down. After being in Beaconhouse that is very well maintained, I dont think I want Harvynna to go to a run down place as Ms Snob will definitely have an issue with that.

One of the schools is very old. My cousins who are now in their 20s used to go there, but they are very established and have a very dedicated set of teachers. I am also impressed with their curriculum and classes. Character building is also emphasised there. Plus, the teachers at my school mentioned that kids from this kindergarten have a strong reading foundation.

The second school is handled by a new management. Its in a huge bungalow with a pool (with swimming lessons). Its a smart kindergarten and their methods are pretty similar to what we offer at my school. What attracted me is that they offer a mix of montessori with emphasis on English , Bahasa and Mandarin and have bridging classes for the 6 year olds. The best part is they have a fixed extra enrichment class programme daily till 3 which includes Speech and Drama, IT, Swimming, Keyboard.

My only problem now is transport. Transport from Bangsar to Damansara Heights is RM250 a month! So I may have to send her in the mornings and arrange for transportation back. If I really cant find proper transport, I may have to consider letting her remain in Beaconhouse. Sigh! Living in the Klang Valley with no support is really difficult. You just have to pay for everything!

So what do I do with Rowena - decided to sign her up at Kidz Sports and some music classes. She needs to do some activity that will use up her energy as she has a lot to spare! Some of the schools for 3 year olds are more of playgroups with only about 1 and a half hours of structured activities. So I have put her schooling on hold.




4 comments:

Babysmooches said...

The 2nd one sounds interesting. hmm... kev works in D.heights. Get him to drive the girls. hehehe

Irene said...

Oh my. They've grown. Esp Rowena. :D

Anonymous said...

Hahahah.. like Rowena, my boy also has tons of spare energy to blow every day!!!

Kindy search.. such a hair pulling phase.. I just been thru that recently. Gosh!!!

Anonymous said...

We've been enquiry almost every montessori in Bangsar/Damansara Heights.

To get the right programme and right learning environment where our lil one enjoying and have funs...is very difficult.... especially we afraid to heard that she gets BULLYING!! we know all kids will passing by this stage and stand up for themselves eventually.

I know the 2nd one you mentioned. I visited last week, my hubby & I was very impressed too!! But not yet making our mind tou!! The directress is explained very well to us on their teaching methods and teaching equipments, what activities they running thru for the kids, what their kids will learn out from it.

Our lil one will be in 2 next year, want to put her in a low ratio teacher: students.

How's beaconhouse? is it the one opposite the mosque & BV?

We went to the Children House...emmm not wat v expected.

If anyone come across with some good experience where kid enjoys it, plz let me know.

:P