Tuesday, July 31, 2007

How do children learn to read?

I recently bought the Ladybird Key words reading scheme books for Harvynna. As I was looking at it, I was wandering how children really learn to read. I know most kindergartens use Phonics nowadays and it is quite effective as they will also learn the right pronounciation.

I have been reading to Harvynna since she was very young and I realise that she memorizes the lines from the books. After reading a book a couple of times, she can actually 'read' the story. Somehow, I think either, she has memorised the story or linked the words to the pictures in the book.

The ladybird key words may actually get children to learn by sight the words as they emphasise on the frequently used words in the English Language. So, the more they are exposed to the words, the more they will know it. This is similar to using flahscards. But with flashcards, there are no distractions from pictures

I actually learnt to read using this method.

I will try to slowly introduce Harvynna to this method and see how she takes to it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting...i have to diligently continue to read books to ashley..I feel so guilty for not being able to especially in the evenings cause when she comes back home, she's already asleep!

Chinneeq said...

now pulak time to think of all these readings and studies...*pening* liao..

etceteramommy said...

I have heard lots of the effectiveness of using flash cards on children. But the good ones normally cost a bomb!

chanelwong said...

Phonic...I don't know but my mom know..hi hi

Nadia said...

Now I need to make another trip to Borders! LOL!!!! Padahal his books like bertimbun already.. hehe!

Leena said...

ya, repeatin words make children learn real fast. oh plus the pictures too.
but i think shern is not ready to read yet. he just cannot sit still to listen to me readin for a good one minute. boys, pening sikit.

Unknown said...

Blogged about my children's learning to read experience here:
http://blog.valuebookshop.com/2007/teaching-your-child-to-read/

Anonymous said...

Hi hmom--I taught my little one to read as she was learning to speak and now she reads all the time and loves it!

Alternative Mom and I did a two-part blog collaboration on reading back in June. You may find something helpful here:

http://thenewparent.blogspot.com/2007/06/why-not-teach-reading-young-blog.html

http://alternative-mom.com/why-not-teach-reading-early-a-blog-collaboration-part-2/

I taught my little one to read using first large size flash cards and then as she began to read better, I shifted to phonics.

What your daughter is doing now is memorizing the text as she is read to. They are amazing memorizers/imitators.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Anonymous said...

btw---I truly forgot to thank you for listing me in your blog roll. That's very sweet of you---thank you.

You're also linked in mine!

Princess Mom said...

Thanks for all the feedback. I should start on something. Phonics is out as I dont know anything about it!! I used to use those large flashcards, but I was not consistent, maybe I should start so Rowena will also benefit from there

Mommy to Chumsy said...

wow...i gotta go get some ladybird books too :D I've used flash cards before but I still dunno if they are effective or not.

Health Freak Mommy said...

What worked for my gals is getting a book on the subject matter that best interests them. For eg Sherilyn likes balloons, so I try to get her books with balloons as the storyline. Alycia likes food and babies, so i get her books on these. The result is they keep begging me to read to them everyday. I also try to buy books with pictures on one page and words on the next page. This way, they wont get distracted by the pictures.